h

__~thoughtful writings~_____Ø(^_ ^ )o

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Reading Assignment for Wed 4/5

Geert Mak, "Amsterdam," Chapters 1-3
I don't know about everyone else, but when I read about Amsterdam I have this distinct picture of a bustling port (thanks to a childhood history book) during the 1600's. However, these chapters paint a picture of Amsterdam as a growing medieval town in the 1300-1400s. Similar to other European towns of that time, religion was a priority and familial roles were well-defined. Apart from these towns, Amsterdam was not ruled by a feudal system, but it was more of a early-democratic society. My first question is - how has Amsterdam's government affected their history apart from other medieval towns in Europe?

Research 101
I remember going over a similar website when I was in middle school, which was helpful when I was learning about research methods. Most of us have created our own research methods that we have come to always use (I'm fond of googling everything). In our high-tech age, I find that I tend to use the internet for much of my primary research sources (helps that most science journals are online now) as opposed to from libraries. My second questions is - is this a beneficial trend (seeing as internet sources aren't as credible)?

JT Klein, "Interdisciplinarity," Intro/Chapter 1
"A physicist may use the term interdisciplinarity to describe converging theory levels among parts of modern physics, biology, and chemistry, yet be unaware of its rather substantial role in the social sciences."

This quote from page 12 struck me becuase this is how I tend to view this term. This can be reflected in the coursework I am taking: biochemistry(chemistry, biology, genetics) and histology (biology, genetics, physiology). However, I think interdisciplinarity is innate to humans whereas we analyze the different apspects in our own lives to form some kind of synthesis. In our age where these concepts continually become thrust into a single entity - is it ever possible to study all aspects of an idea in view of every field?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home